Ludza is one of the oldest towns in Latgale, mentioned in written sources since 1177.
Livonian Order at the end of 14th century in the former hillfort of Latgallians built enormous castle which guarded eastern borders of Livonian state. In spite of this Ludza town heavily suffered in wars and the only visible testimony of medieval times are ruins of the castle.
Ludza is one of the most characteristic towns in Latgale region. Town is not affluent - this unfortunately is seen on every step. Still the initiative of local people has given interesting results worth to see - there has been newly built beautiful Catholic church, town has got also an cosy, excellent open-air museum, here are located quite a few interesting houses from late 19th - early 20th century.
Pictures taken in 17th May 2008.