|Coordinates:||56° 38'17,0'' N 25° 25'03,0'' E Google Maps|
|No:||12 (full list of monuments)|
|Category:||Medieval castles, Palaces and manor houses|
|Address:||(Aizkraukle district), Koknese region, Koknese municipality, Koknese park, junction of Perse and Daugava rivers|
|Year of construction:||Shortly after 1209|
|Condition:||Ruins, partly conserved|
|Conservation status:||Archaeology monument of state importance No.118 (together with the medieval town), architecture monument of state importance No.6160.|
Koknese castle - once one of the most beautiful castles in the area of present-day Latvia - was built shortly after 1209 in 30 metres high, wedge-shaped hill between Perse and Daugava rivers over a hillfort of Latgallians. The enormous building with five towers and forepart was built for Riga Archbishopric, along its defensive wall developed fortified town.
Koknese castle was abandoned in 1701 and nowadays here are impressive ruins. After the creation of Plavinas hydropowerplant lake the water reached the fundament of Koknese castle - thus ruins are endangered now and are fixed with concrete constructions below the water level.