|Coordinates:||56°59'02,55'' N 24°15'00,14'' E Google Maps|
|No:||94 (list of all monuments)|
|Category:||Palaces and manor houses|
|Address:||Riga, Jugla, Juglas Street 14|
|Versions of name:||Strazde manor house|
|Year of construction:||1770., late 19th c.-early 20th c.|
|Architectural style:||Barocco, Neo-Classicism, Neo-Barocco|
|Conservation status:||Architecture monument of local importance No 8000|
One of the best known and most beautiful manor houses in Riga is Strazdumuiza. The new manor of Strazdumuiza most likely is the oldest building in the complex of manor centre buildings, built in 1770.
See also the nearby Strazdumuiza mansion, built in 1853.
Strazdumuiza was private manor which owned also two farmsteads - Odini and Kulas - farms with small plots of arable land. Both farmers were also fishing in Jugla Lake and nearby Kisezers Lake, sold beer and spirits to Rigans who arrived at Jugla lake to rest. Both farmers paid in kind to the owner of Strazdumuiza manor - this included also one thousand smoked ruffs each and cultivated land of manor. Manor was located on high bank of Jugla Lake - here it was easier to cultivate land and to develop park. Surroundig areas were swampy and sandy flats.
In 1510 Riga city alloted a land plot next to Jugla Lake to non-German (ie. Latvian) tenant. His family kept it for several generations and later this property was part of Strazdumuiza manor. Later here was living Sivelbein family who rented it to Odini in 1680 - family of Latvian farmers and fisherman.
Strazdumuiza itself has been first mentioned in 1528 - then it was obtained by Riga patrician A. Thor Avest, his family owned it up to the middle of 17th century. Family name of Thor Avest was in the root of the German name of manor - Straßen or Trasten and finally Latvian Strazdumuiža - Manor of Starlings.
Name "Thor" designates a title and means approximately the same as "zur" or "von". J.C.Brotze writes these words separately - "Thor Avest". Of course, it is intriguing that the word Thor sounds like Scandinavian deity and word Avesta - similar to the name of ancient Persian religious texts.
In 1741 owner of the manor became burgomaster Budberg. In his time manor became larger and even better kept. In 1764 - 1781 manor was managed by the son of Budberg Voldemar Dietrich von Budberg. In 1770 he built a new manor houde next to the old one and this building stands here up to this day.
In 1781 owner of the manor became elder of Great Guild, housekeeper Hermann Fromhold. Soon he died and manor was managed by his widow Dorothea. In her name once there was named also Strazdumuiza park - "Joy of Dorothea".
In this time manor has been drawn by J.C.Brotze. Then there was already a park in English style (landscape park).
In 1801 manor was purchased by merchant Foortram but in 1803 - by the chief of police district Behrens von Rautenfeld. The new owner was worried about the situation where in autumn from the Bikeri Street (current Jugla Street) there came thiefs why without any siturbance stealed fruits and other things. In 1805 he ordered that Odins builds a house for gardener - currently the second oldest building in Strazdumuiza. Thus Odins had to serve also as a guard. Owner of Strazdumuiza in 1816 - 1827 was town councillor Georg Ludwig Stoppelberg.
In 1827 the owner of Strazdumuiza became manufacturer Johan Theodor Pychlau who built here manufacture of cotton and wool - Ergli hills were partly levelled for this purpose and Odini farmers were displaced.
After the death of Theodor Pychlau and later - his wife Anna Gerthrude in 1872 manor was managed by their youngest son Theodor Eduard Pychlau (1830 - 1901). the old manor house from 1770 was rebuilt and made more ornate. Part of the building which was facing Jugla Lake got a veranda with very ornate foyer. At the bank of Jugla Lake there was built wharf. During social parties gentleman used to take ladies to boat ride in the lake. In 1880 there was made a terrace at the lake in honour of the 50th jubilee of Theodor. Theodor the eldest granted to his son Rheinhold Ludwig (1816 - 1881) a land plot at his wedding. In 1881, after the death of Rheinhold Ludwig these properties were inherited by his widow Johanna Karoline. Maiden name of Johanna was Kreger and it is possible that the nearby Kregermuiza manor got its name from her. Johanna Karoline granted strazdumuiza manor house buildings to the society of blind. At the dawn of her life she was seriously ill, she granted to the society large sums of money and made an agreement that this society will take care of her until the last hour of her life.
In 1890 Theodor Eduard Pychlau sold the textile manufacture to English joint stock company and kept Strazdumuiza park, Dorothea's joy and manor house. Unfortunately Joy of Dorothea had to be closed in 1920ies due to the problem of vandalism.
J.C.Brotze has added a description to his drawing "Sight at the Trasten or Torvest manor, usually called Strazdumuiza, near Jugla Lake in 1779" - he reminds that this drawing has been taken from the sketch of deceased baron Voldemar Dietrich von Budberg and shows his former residence where he spent most part of his life. Description helps to find the approximate location of Kulas and Odini farmsteads.
In the drawing Brotze shows a manor house which is located close to the lake what is contrary to the situation now - now the manor is rather far away.(?) In another text he mentions that the manor house is owned now by the widow of H.Fromhold Dorothea von Fromhold.
Architecture of the new manor house has got traits characteristic for the 18th century. At the beginning of 20th century it has been rebuilt in Neo-barocco and Neo-Classicism styles. In the manor park at the second half of 20th century there have been built multiapartment buildings.